Re: [AERC-Members] [RC] Drug testing in CA - elsie

Heidi wrote:
One thing I don't like about the CA testers is that they test DURING the
ride.  Nothing to prevent someone from saying gee, I've already been
tested, I can help my horse out a little on the last loop.  That isn't the
case with the AERC testers in other areas.  Second, I don't like the
testing interfering with a horse's and rider's routine during the ride.
There were testers at one of the CA rides I vetted, and I wasn't impressed
with their protocols at all.

I too was "nearly" tested at Chamberlain Creek (CA)
last fall (and was definitely no where near top ten ;-) ).

Came in to the first 15 mile check (30 min hold) and
stood around letting the horse eat. Of course, once
poised over someone else's hay, he dropped to pee, so
I (reluctantly) had to move him off to some long grass
instead.

The "pee lady" (aforementioned "cup on a stick" in hand)
came over and hovered, hoping he'd perform, which of course
he didn't. In the meantime, she and I chatted (afterall, all
I was doing was watching him eat and waiting for his brain
to catch up). While we were standing there, we did fill out
name and address, etc... but since he never did anything, I
think she abandoned the paperwork (I'm pretty sure she didn't
mark him down as "negative").

She in no way interfered with what I was doing (followed me
around) and was quite discreet.

Not many of the rides around here loop back into camp, so
unless you sent your "drug of choice" out with your crew/
in your crew bag (wondering why you would do this?), it
would be hard to drug your horse on the last loop.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsie AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California
Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris