Re: [RC] Thinkin' about trail training - Kristen A Fisher

I have always had a difficult time rating my horse; he has way more go than
whoa, I like to ride fairly conservatively, especially because he is not
that experienced. The terrain he wants to through/up/down/over at 10-12 mph
is not necessarily what he can or should do (nor what I can ride). And I
often have to rate him back into a trot from a canter. One of our best
breakthroughs came a few weeks ago when he cantered on a portion of trail to
steady himself, then dropped back to a trot of his own accord. I think he is
learning to read the trail and understand how to best navigate the terrain
at speed.

His trot over uneven terrain can also be very bumpy and difficult to ride,
and I also learned recently that if I can collect him up just a tad
differently, he evens out and is much smoother.  He has always been a so-so
eater away from home, and on our last time out the light bulb came on and he
went, "damn this makes me hungry and thirsty!"

So I guess it's the ability to learn what's needed. I know some horses are
what I call "vu-ja-de" (as in the opposite of de'javu - I have never seen
any of this ever before) so it's nice to see some that have learned "been
there, done that".

Kristen and Counterpart

Maybe for the new riders and for those of us who need
gentle reminders from time to time, what are qualities
you value in a good trail horse. How do you train that
horse. What's important to you?

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards