[RC] Steph going to Brazil - DeborahHuebsch

Hi Steph,

I'm a supreme lurker on Ridecamp and have enjoyed reading everyone's take on just about everything!  Lots of opinions, information, help, advice, and good stories (including yours).

I noted that you may be going to Brazil.  Just a headsup to be sure you see the Brazilian Mangalarga horse (the national horse of Brazil).  They come in two varieties Marchadors (of which there are quite a few in the US) and Paulistas (not as common in the US - like maybe a couple hundred, max).  I own and compete on a Paulista Mangalarga and think he is terrific!  I understand that the Brazilians use primarily Arabs for endurance, but they might like to know that there is at least one of their national horses doing quite well in endurance in the US.  He has 1100 miles of 50s with one top ten and tons of potential.  I've been going slow and steady with him but think he has real talent.  His pulses are better than my 1700 mile Arabian.  His trot is fabulous (no posting required).  Both his walk and his trot are faster than any horse I've ever owned!  His only problem is heat---he isn't a hot weather guy.  I'd be very interested in why they don't use their own horses for endurance.

BTW, we haven't met, but you passed me blazing like mad with your husband's horse bawling because he got left at Warner Springs.

Have a great time!!!

Deborah Huebsch