Re: [RC] GRRRR a little vent... - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "oddfarm" <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Don't be afraid to say "No" to anybody. Even if they are
some big wig or wannabe.

*Yep, and the times I caved in to pressure to do something I was not ready
do, were the times I got HURT.  Now, I never let anyone talk me into
anything.

*I took my daughter once, on her endurance Arab to a jumping clinic with a
friend.
Aspects of it were quite funny.  The instructor had the two girls and a
friend on a big
QH keep circling around this jump and going over it a million times....the
girls just trotting
were lapping the QH twice for every time he got around.  So the girls tried
to be sensitive to
this and started making their horses go around the entire arena in the time
the QH did the
small circle once.  They were being good sports and having fun...got
chastized by the
instructor who told them not to do that, that their horses "would get
tired."  My friend and
I almost fell over laughing.  Anyway, after going over this little jump a
million times, my
daughters Arab, who was not ever an enthusiastic jumper said enough and
started to run out.
The instructor insisted she keep at it, and when the mare tried to run out,
and waved her arms at
her, sending her right into the jump standard, where horse and rider went
tumbling to the ground.

I was NOT impressed to say the least, and it was a good wake up call that
you can't teach anything
in one clinic, just like you can't get a trained horse in 30 days (despite
what a lot of folks think and
trainers promise).

Everything takes TIME!  The more the better.....
Karen

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano