RE: [RC] Drug testing - detection and sample size - heidi

I think you'll find that most of the random samples are taken in the top
ten. If we want to uncover drug use taking samples from the horses that
the vets suspect, rather than randomly would give us more results for
our testing dollar.  Libby

The procedure used by the testers at the rides that I've vetted has been a
good one, IMO.  They would test 5 horses, and while the horses were still
out on the course, they would randomly pick the finish order of the horses
they would test.  They would put the numbers 1-10 in a hat, and then the
numbers 11-whatever the number of starters was in another hat.  If it was
a small ride, they would draw three from the top ten and two from the
other hat.  If it was a really big ride, they would draw 2 from the top
ten and 3 from the other hat.  So the top ten did get a higher percentage
tested, but there was also random testing of the rest of the pack.

The testers wouldn't arrive until the horses were well out on the course,
so the riders didn't know in advance that they were there.  But by
sampling the rest of the group, they also prevented somebody from slowing
up to get OUT of the top ten to dodge testing, if perchance they DID find
out in advance that the tester was there.

When I worked on the track, the protocol was two horses from every
race--the winner, and one randomly from the rest of the pack.

Heidi

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton