[RC] When does a horse no longer need "junior" food? - Lysane Cree

My Paint filly has been getting 2 scoops (1 scoop
being 2 quarts...not sure how that would translate
into pounds...) a day of Equine Junior Development
Chow made by Purina for the past year. The only other
things that she gets are all of the grass hay that she
can eat, and a salt block in her feed bin. She is two
in April. Her condition is just right, I can feel her
ribs but not see them. She was 14.3 last time I
measured and about 850 pounds. She might be a little
bigger now.
Anyway, the bag of Junior Development recommends
feeding up to 2 years of age. So what does this mean
exactly? At two years, it is no longer recommended
that a horse eat this feed? She is a Paint so maybe
she won't be growing for as long as an Arabian, but
she is still growing...
I would eventually switch her to another feed (with
grass hay still being the primary feed) - I was
looking into one feed by Purina called Strategy. I
remember that it is beet pulp based and contains fat
and some Athlete pellets as well...so I'm wondering at
what point I should switch feeds.
Any suggestions?

Lysane

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton