[RC] Pasos in endurance - Dana B.

Mike Sherrell wrote: "All this is to say that going down steep hills, such as are common in endurance rides, is particularly hard on the Paso. As a lover of the breed,
I hate to see people riding them hard down steep hills
."

I don't know about Peruvian Pasos, which are definitely a different breed.   But I do know that Paso Finos are great on hills and have great legs.  The breeder from whom I purchased all of mine is in ID and his horses live on rocky mountains.  The first mile out of his house is up a little "hill" that is about 800 feet straight up on rocks, and thoses horses fly up and down those "hills" with and without riders and he rarely has lameness issues (his herd has been about 100 horses for 50 years).

I'll be the first to admit that Paso Finos take extra work as distance horses, but I sure haven't seen where their legs are an issue.  I'd even say that their hooves and legs are their strength.  As a lover of that breed, I'd hate for folks to get the wrong impression about their legs, and sometimes the two breeds are confused.....

Dana

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx