Re: [RC] [RC] "walkers should trot " - Deanna German

It's been my observation at CTR's and endurance rides that any kind of a
gait is very "expensive" metabolically. The horses seem to generate more
heat and they need more air. They don't pulse down as quickly or as easily
as a horse at the same fitness level doing the same speed trot or canter.

One Missouri Fox Trotter I rode with once upon a time always pushed off with
the same hind as he gaited -- he was short-striding on that hind by the end
of 15 miles at about a 6 mph rate.

I've followed more than one splendid TWH down the trail -- one that I was
not catching up to at a relaxed canter. I would wager that that horse was
easily in as good of condition as mine. But the rider of that horse has
trouble with pulses -- not meeting parameters, but in obtaining low CTR
pulses -- and he was far steamier than my horse and breathing much harder.
Still, that horse would be a nice middle to end of the packer and could do
endurance. And heck, when they're done, I bet the rider isn't as sore as I
am from all the trotting. I know she always looks fresher than I feel!

But what do I know about gaited horses? Not much. But I have been to a few
(very few compared to many here, but lots more than some) CTR's and
endurance rides.

It's a new season, time to get on out there! Yee Haw!

Deanna

--------------------------

A. Perez wrote:
A prior post saidf racking was 'hard on the horse' and gaited
horses should be taught to trot.  I beg to differ.  Apart from
the exaggerated 'big lick' rack, any four-beat, no-suspension
gait (running wlak, single-foot, fox trot, tolt, etc) should be
less impact on the horse, just as it is less impact on the
rider.  My TWH will get 'pacey' if not collected or when tired,
and I think that is harder on him than his four-beat running
walk.

FWIW.
Amanda

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith