Re: [RC] Endurance riding for College budgets? - Karla Watson

Just remember that you don't have to have every thing you need for endurance right away. You can sleep in your truck or tent, ride in used breeches, tie your horse to the trailer, use a western saddle and eat cold sandwiches all weekend. You don't have to start out with fancy tack, expensive portable corrals and full living quarter trailers. The important thing is to have a good time and take good care of your horse. Remember, most of those people out there started out just like you, on a budget and sleeping in a tent with their first old horse trailer. You will see several just like you at camp. Just pack food from home and save money for the entry fee and GO!! Thrift stores stock many things you can pick up for camping at a fraction of the cost. Keep it simple! Ebay is a great place for used stuff too. You might want to consider doing the 25 instead of the 12.5 miler. More bang for your buck...and 25 miles is not that far.

Karla Watson

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 4:20 PM
Subject: [RC] Endurance riding for College budgets?

I read some posts last week or the week before that
talked about the costs needed for endurance.  I have
been working on getting ready for my first ride.  Have
the horse (yes, the cheap part), the aussie saddle
that fits well, the breastcollar is on the way, and
have not purchased a halter/bridle yet.  My first ride
in June is a novice 12.5.  I have been really pumped
until I realized that I may not be able to afford
this.  Is there a way to do this economically as a
poor, destitute, college kid?

A very humbled wanna-be,
Ashlee