Re: [RC] trotting and gaited horses - Truman Prevatt

My mare was extremely smooth in a trot and canter. She was balanced and would round nicely going down the trail - probably why she liked to trot. She also loved to jump - would go out of her way to hot over a log. I had her over three feet and the instructor I was using took her over four feet. She was very agile and sure footed. The old War Eagle ride had a 15 mile trail that was a slalom course through very tight trees and she just flew. Although she was 16-1 she could do that course better than 99% of the 14-2 Arabs out there. She was very quick on her feet and very responsive to leg aids and was joy to ride.

She had a very fast walk. I never saw an Arab that could keep up in a walk they all had to jog (or in many cases jig) to keep up. She had a nice extremely long low trot and and very smooth canter. If I "bumped her up a little" as the walking horse people say, she would transition into a nice running walk. However she could go faster at a lower heart rate at a trot than the RW.  She would fly downhill. We caught many a people going down hill and we had many a people just give up because they became "chicken" going down hill as fast as she could.

She was a lighter build than a lot of walking hroses (probably becasue of the MGB breeding in her). She was often mistaken for a TB and sometimes when she was spitting fire with the tail in the air and neck arched a saddlebred. Probably because of the build she developed very rapid recoveries. In her prime she could gallop in and by the time I got her tack off she would be down. Boy was she fast. She could gallop as fast as most TBs. The only horse that we have ever had that could out run her was her mother. They both left our Arabs in the dust and we have one Arab off the track that had a good record on the track.

She had several top 10's a couple seconds a first and a BC. She did a 50 in 3:40 (second place) and won BC (best vet score also). Her resting heart rate is 26. Her mother (who we also had) was sub 30 and her son's and daughters are also sub 30 so it seems runs in the family. That probably had a lot to do with the recoveries. It did, however, take her about a year longer to get to her prime but hey getting there is half the fun.

She did 6 one day 100 mile rides - the ROC being one. I sure hated to do it but had to retire her in '96 for breeding since the old clock was getting to the point that if I pushed in any longer she might have trouble breeding.

 She was an opinionated hell bitch. I had to ride her in a pelham with double reins or else she would pull my shoulders out of their sockets. My wife would not ride her since she would not pay one word of attention to anything Kathy told her. One year I had to spend 3 weeks in Denver in Nov. I did a 55 the Saturday before I left - turned her loose 10 miles out galloped the whole way passed 6 ot 7 horses and blew the doors of two more racing to the finish and came in 4th or 5th. I climbed on airplane Monday. I asked Kathy to ride her a little so she was "too fresh."

Get back Wednesday before Thanksgiving, load up the trailer and head up to JD's Thursday.  I rode her Friday and knew I was in for trouble on Saturday. She galloped sideways the first 10 miles of that 100. She did the first 50 faster than she had ever done a 50 prior to that time and it wasn't my idea. I was a passenger pure and simple. We ended up getting lost on the second 50 probably did at least 110 miles and spend who knows how much time in the dark trying to figher where we were. We finished and boy what a ride.

That mare will probably be the best horse (of any breed) I will end up ever riding. He daugher is getting ready to start some riding soon so just maybe - at least my fingers are crossed.

Truman

Karen Sullivan wrote:

 I have asked a few of the top gaited endurance riders about any horses they know that have completed 50 milers complexity in gait consistently. I am doing research on this as the whole gaited horse in endurance is a pet project of mine.

*Will be very interesting to hear your results. I have talked to Truman about this also, and a fellow who had done Tevis on TWH some years ago.  The imput I got was that you have to be extremely careful in selecting a TWH, as some are extremely athletic and surefooted.....and some are not!

 Downhill they can make up time provided they don't get pacey. A pacey horse downhill is extremely dangerous..it can fall down way too easily.

*Going uphill is just as bad.....how I got one good scar on my face, when a foxtrotter I briefly owned came crashing down to the ground going up a very steep, narrow hill the Arabs just cruised up....put me off gaited horses for a bit!

I LOVE gaited horses...they are fun to ride,

*My Arab/TWH was a great mare, smooth and tons of endurance.  She was pretty heavy bodied and her recoveries were not as good at the pure Arabs...but she could go all day, was extremely smooth and surefooted.  I think gaited crossed on Arab is something not enough breeders are doing.....
Karen
Mel

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.