[RC] re: [RC] "walkers should trot " - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A prior post saidf racking was 'hard on the horse' and gaited
horses should be taught to trot.  I beg to differ.  Apart from
the exaggerated 'big lick' rack, any four-beat, no-suspension
gait (running wlak, single-foot, fox trot, tolt, etc) should
be less impact on the horse, just as it is less impact on the
rider.  My TWH will get 'pacey' if not collected or when
tired, and I think that is harder on him than his four-beat
running walk.

FWIW, a true pace is a two-beat gait, which is what I believe
the original poster was talking about: if the horse is in a two-
beat gait the trot is easier on them (and the rider) than the
pace is.

As for the rack, I *thought* a rack was also a two-beat gait.
Or is a rack a broken pace so it's actually four-beat?

~Nicole

REAL endurance is sleeping in the tack compartment of your trailer w/the
door open, and your horse snorts/snots on your forehead every 30 min!
~ Heidi Sowards