[RC] TWH Advice-Thank You! - Peter Harper

I wanted to tell everyone "Thank You" for your helpful
advice and encuragement.

I especially liked the topic on trotting out at the
vet check.  I read in one of the archives a vet's
comment "if it looks lame in all four legs then its OK
for gaited".  I had a good laugh at that one.

It seems people are about equally divided on the
subject of should a walker trot.  Ladyhawk has a walk,
wonderful smooth fast running walk, a rough pace and a
nice cantor.  The pace is just above the running walk
and before the cantor.  If I keep asking for speed at
the running walk she'll start to pace from side to
side.  She also tends to pace down hills.  I generally
don't like the pace and will take her up to a cantor
or back to a running walk.  Going up hills she's got a
whole other gear, driving hard with her hind end in a
powerful running walk.  I'm not sure I've really had
her in a trot.  Her history was a show horse in the
plantation pleasure class.  The breeder we baught her
from has a good reputation, none of the horror stories
you hear associated with Big-Lick Walkers.

My wife's 4yr TWH gelding in contrast is much more
trotty.  He doesn't have the speed of Ladyhawk and has
to trot or cantor to keep up.  He's still real young
and we're just starting him slow of the trails and
hope to develop his running walk more as he get more
mature.

I'm in quite a quandry on if I should teach her to
trot or not?  With her past show carrer I'm sure
they've trained her not to.  Should I undo that
training? or be happy with my wonderfully gaited, yet
slow mare?

Happy trails,

Pete and Ladyhawk in Texas