Re: [RC] Foal Nutrition - Jim & Drin Becker

Amanda wrote
"My suggestion, obviously, is to give Mom a break and separate
them while feeding... also good to get foal used to short
periods of separation at an ealy age. Put foal in stall nest to
Mom, or in adjoining paddock, where they can see eacvh other."

I had a late foal born last year , October 31 which is really late for this part of Montana , snow and 6 degrees out . What I did was make a creep feeder in the warmest part of the lean-to for the foal , I kept it bedded with straw and the foal went right in and when I started him on a small amount of feed  he was used to going into his own pen to eat , after about two months he would gobble his feed up and then go and eat his mom's feed so I started shutting the gate on him  as I was worried he would eat too much .Works well .
                                  Drin Becker
                                  Mtn Region