Re: [RC] Soaked Flake Hay While Trailering - Karen

At 12:57 PM 3/15/2004, Karen Sullivan wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen" <karen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 I am careful about the kinds of hay and/or feed I put in the
trailer with them for traveling (absolutely NO alfalfa!).

Okay Karen, curious why.....

I have one mare (the pig) who is really limited on grains and alfalfa.
However I do feed it in the trailer,
seems sort of a treat for getting in and hauling.....

What are the downsides? It seems less messy.

I've got lots of reasons, let's see...where to start.....my horses don't get fed alfalfa as part of their regular diets, so putting it in the trailer would be changing their feed before (or after) a ride. I don't mind if they eat some of it at/during a ride (after the ride starts), but then it is usually only offered as part of their overall food for the day and not to replace their regular diet.

I've had friends horses choke eating alfalfa on trailer trips. Usually going camping (not endurance horses). My horses in particular do not get alfalfa before an endurance ride because they are often going to a multiday, and alfalfa (or any hay with clover) is definitely out -- as it makes them more prone to sun sensitivity which leads to scratches. I haven't had a horse get scratches for years, but am sure I could cause it simply by feeding them alfalfa on the way there (or, clover) The other reason why I have to watch the alfalfa is because I have a horse that has had some allergy issues. Once the ride starts, I am fine with mixing it in, they can handle it -- but still (in moderation) prefer to keep them eating the majority of their food what they are used to getting at home.

So, really the main reasons for me is that it leads to problems if I am going to a ride, and would lead to more likelihood of a chance of choke or colic on the way home. If I were to feed alfalfa because it was the only hay I had available for some reason, I would soak it first. Tho, if that were the case I would probably choose to not offer any (or very little) hay and instead offer a soaked complete feed pellet. My horses eat very well when they are trailered so I try to feed them their normal diets without too much change, and if it is a change it is only to something they are used to having (like a particular Purina product, etc.--something low in molasses too). Plus, I think that alfalfa creates more heat (that is why it's recommended we feed it in the cold of winter) -- something that my horses don't need when I am hauling them in a trailer, especially in the summer. Even now, with 70 degree weather they would be very warm in the trailer with their winter coats.

Karen
in NV

REAL endurance is sleeping in the tack compartment of your trailer w/the
door open, and your horse snorts/snots on your forehead every 30 min!
~ Heidi Sowards