Re: [RC] wilderness - heidi

I don't know how many of you belong to the organization "Back Country
Horsemen". It's a national organization that works to keep trails and
back country  open for horse travel, and I've been a member for several
years. Many of the  trails deemed "wilderness" don't allow motorized
vehicles. BCH volunteers pack in  a lot of trail maintenance supplies.
My friend and I have horses that are  trained to drive and pull loads.
We had visions of using our horses to pull in  loads too large for pack
horses with a wagon and team. I was surprised to learn  that the
motorized vehicle rule applied to anything with tires - including  horse
drawn equipment. In some areas it also bans anything that is steel shod
-  including horses. Be very informed of what groups you support.
Roadless  wilderness seems like a good idea but it's surprising how many
organizations include  horses in their vision of exclusions. I'd like to
encourage all trail and  endurance riders to support Back Country
Horseman. It's a national organization  with state and local groups. The
national organization has a web site found at  Back Country Horsemen of
America. If you can't join to support their activities  physically I
encourage trail riders to join and support them financially.

BCH is indeed an outstanding group.  And yes, they do a lot of "by hand"
trail maintenance.  But I know from experience with the BCH group here
that while they do a huge amount of work every year, very little (if any)
of it is in the wilderness areas, because the wilderness areas are SO huge
that it is virtually impossible to get past a bit along the edges unless
you have major supply lines and lots of time.  The BCH group is made up
primarily of regular human beings with jobs, and so their trips are pretty
much limited to 2-3 day work stints.  Also, BCH uses chainsaws a
lot--likewise forbidden in wilderness areas.

We did a lot of "by hand" (but with chainsaws) maintenance in Newberry
Crater National Monument when we used to put on the Paulina Peak ride.  We
also reopened some trails in same that had been closed by down timber for
years when we put on the Pan-Am in that area in 1997.  Yes, the area is
roadless, but because it allows chainsaws and also snowmobiles in winter,
it was humanly possible to go in and maintain trails (one could get enough
done in a short enough period of time to be worth it), and we also had
help from other user groups (hikers, mountain bikers, OET--Oregon
Equestrian Trails, which works a bit like BCH, and snowmobilers).  Being
able to maintain a few trails makes it POSSIBLE to go in and enjoy the
"wilderness experience" which is nigh on IMpossible in the "wilderness
areas."

Furthermore, Bob Morris is right about "travel plan" issues in wilderness
areas--in less restrictive areas such as national parks and monuments,
managed roadless areas, etc., at least we had the option of going in and
reclaiming old trails, instead of having them arbitrarily legislated into
oblivion.

Here in central Idaho, there are a great many historical trails which will
never again see the light of day because they have been buried by
"wilderness" designation (unless by some miracle we can someday
"deregulate" some of the wilderness).  Sad, very sad...

Heidi

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse.
~  Teddy Roosevelt