From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David
LeBlanc
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 4:44 PM
To: 'Lari Shea'; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Advice needed; pulling trailer with RV

Lari asked:

Any ideas on how much power, torque, mileage, etc, I'd be
losing by
switching to this rig.  I love the interior space, but don't
want to give up too much in maneuverability and git up and
go.

The motor home is probably built on a van chassis. What you
can do is go look up the motor for that year as if it were a
van and see what the ratings are.

Here's the basics -

Horsepower - this is torque times RPM. Everyone quotes it,
and it usually doesn't really mean anything. Funny how that
works. Horsepower ratings are frequently done at an RPM that
your engine just won't do outside of the testing area. For
the most part, ignore horsepower. For an example of how
meaningless this is, look at a motorcycle's ratings
sometime. Lots of horsepower, won't pull anything.

Torque - this is what really matters. This is what pulls you
up the hill. Torque doesn't change that much with RPM, and
the peak torque rating will almost always happen in a usable
range. More is better - you can sometimes see a gasoline
motor that has more HP, but less torque than a diesel. The
diesel will pull better if it has more torque.

Differential ratio - the higher this number is, the more you
can pull, the slower your top speed is, and the worse the
mileage.

Now last is weight - we're required to get things weighed in
WA to register. You might find that the motor home weighs
more than your previous rig. If the new one doesn't have
more torque or a higher differential ratio, you won't be
able to pull as well.

Next thing to figure on is brakes and suspension. Lots of
motor homes do well to stop themselves. If the chassis is
equivalent to a F-450, then you have bigger brakes than if
it is built on a F-350.

One other factor that makes me think twice about a motor
home is that not every shop is equipped to work on it. You
won't have a hard time finding someone to work on a normal
truck.

Hope this helps...

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown

taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards