[RC] Zen and the Art of Endurance Riding - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Daniel Tautenhan dannyappleseed@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I first became interested in Endurance riding in 1990 when my mother, an avid
horsewoman, mentioned it to me.  I moved to Portland from Montana in 1996, post
University, and quickly began to miss the scent of horses, the trails in
Montana, the open skies and riding with friends and family.

Shortly after my relocation, in a conversation during a temporary job, I
mentioned this equine longing to Deanne Schlepped, an employee at the job
posting.    She introduced me to her friend Marion and soon the three of us
went off riding.  It was thrilling to be back on trail, with new friends, in
the fresh air, with the rain on my face, in the velvety, magical state of
Oregon.  The 3 jobs I held, and new challenges sent me into a spin and my
contact with the endurance world did not surface again until the summer of 2002.

In August 2002 DeWayne Brown introduced me to a new chapter of my experience
endurance riding.  I rode and trained with him for roughly 6 months and then
did my first 50 mile ride at Kilickitat 2003.    I am deeply grateful to him
for sharing this gift with me.   My hat goes off to you DeWayne.

At the Klickitat ride, I was reacquainted with Marion Griffith.   We began
riding together again.  I found it inspiring that with her busy business
schedule, it was still her top priority to maintain her horses? health,
happiness, and condition at the highest accord.  I have pleasantly found that
many endurance riders share this same passion and commitment.  Marion, her
family, and their herd have an integrity that reflects love, and intelligence.
I am deeply grateful to know them, to have trained with them, and to compete
with them.  Thank you!

So it is that with each successive experience we gain some wisdom, life
examples, that enhance the lessons of our wisest forefathers.

My mother told me, that the horse is a symbol of strength, speed, and love, but
easily succumbs to fear.  My lessons have taught me that good horsemanship and
sportsmanship are a result of overcoming our own fears and making peace with
them, not projecting them onto others.   And, that socially maligning, black
balling, and gossip are the seeds of poor sportsmanship and a tortured soul.
There is a higher quality in life to shoot for, and what better place to aim
than from horseback, in the beauty of the rides.

I look forward to new chapters, and revelations in the world of endurance

to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris