Re: [RC] [RC] cannon measurements - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[RC] cannon measurements - Amber B Fort

Just curious as to what is considered good bone size on a
horse.  I saw the cannon mesurements in a stallion ad somewhere
and it piqued my interest.

The "standard" is generally considered to be 8" per 1000lbs of
body weight.  There are some that consider 7" per 1000lbs to
be perfectly adequate as well.  (I prefer the 8"/1000lbs
myself.)  Keep in mind that most Arabians are shy of that
1000lbs, so 7-8" is usually enough for them, although some of
us do have individuals with 8"+.

Also keep in mind that because it's circumfrence, the math is
nice and complicated to get exact numbers for weights other than
1000lbs. ;-)

~Nicole

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius