From: "Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM"
<suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <msofen@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   When to stop feeding fat before
a race
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:31:45 -0800

Realistically, carrots cannot be overfed.  10
pounds of carrots = 1
gallon
of water and good fiber, vit A, etc.

I thought so too, until we treated a (very minor)
colic from a horse that
got into the feed room and mowed his way through
roughly 75 pounds of
carrots in a day.  Wow, that horse REALLY liked
carrots.  He wasn't even
really sick, just had a slightly urpy look about
him.  However, he proved
the exception to the rule that even carrots can be
overdone if the horse
tries hard enough.  On a ride, I wouldn't have any
trouble handing out 5
lbs
every loop or so, plus a few more pounds in the
mash at the check.

Susan G
SUSAN E. GARLINGHOUSE, DVM, MS
Michael S. Peralez, DVM & Associates
1005 North Santa Anita Drive
Arcadia, California 91006
(626) 446-8911
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan

They're athletes! This is a partnership between
horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners.
We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to
compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

Get business advice and resources to improve your
work life, from bCentral.
http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't
"fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means
your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know
what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance