[RC] Project horse update!!! - Kathie Ford

Hey Ridecampers!  I want to truly thank so many of you all for the great advice, support, good wishs, kind words, and just down right caring for Champ; now officially called "Pops" (like seabiscuit) by my husband!

Well, vet came and got his blood work results back today.........HE'S NORMAL!!! Yipee!

Kidneys, and liver fine, blood work within normal parameters, and no anemia!  Vet said definately needs to gain about 200-250 lbs, and his strength and muscles will redevelope.  Much of the advice was correct about feeding (Of course with RC helping out!), and he is happy and has true heart. The vet told me on Tuesday that we got him just in time to really help him, and that we just added about 8 years to his life!!!!! I'm sure the number could be off, but still a wonderful comment!
He seems also to be free of any diseases.  He is lame, and weak in the hindquarters but the vet said he is very sure it is mechanical and there is nothing neurologically wrong with him.  He said as his muscles and weight redevelop this will improve.  He basically has no support structure.  So we have "orders" to have him out on pasture as much as possible
I need to bring him in for some dental work in about 3-4 weeks but nothing truly major!

He had two pretty mares to see from a short distance and seems to enjoy conversing with them with friendly nickers, and is enjoying the open space he has...I do have to keep him somewhat apart from the others for another week or just to be cautious though.  But he knows he's not alone...wish I had a digital camera I'd share the photos!  (I'm technologically challenged....sorry!)

Well this was a very good day!!!

Take care all...and thanks!!!

kathie