[RC] Egypt: What a Place!!! - Stephanie Teeter

I've never seen so many donkeys in my life.... they are the life blood
of Egypt I think. This place is incredible. Not much time to write -
we're headed into Maadi, MA has some meetings has arranged a driver
for us for the day to see the sights, bedouin souk, falouka (boat)
ride on the Nile, etc.

The ride was pretty interesting. Mostly fun, though the vetcheck was a
bit chaotic - partly not understanding what was expected of us
(everything!), partly western faux pas (the 'creek' water is too
polluted even for horses) -(the nice lanes shaded by date palms can
quickly become congested with donkey carts and trucks) but lots of
smiling, lots of folks really enjoyed the atmosphere, nice
buffet. Merri got some great pictures (I was too busy - classic ride
manager day) - but no good net access, so photos will have to wait
until I get back.

Last night we had dinner at Christo's - an old seafood restaurant
overlooking the pyramids - which were perdiodically lit from various
angles, various colors - designed for tourists. Two days ago Merri and
I had a wonderful adventure with the 'caretaker' of the Sun Temple ( a
10 minute walk from MA's) - he made us tea, bread, halawa (yum!), and
we smoked the sheesha pipe with him at his hut. Much more interesting
than any tourist tour of the great pyramids - I have some great photos
too!

Tons of stories and adventures - but too busy doing them to record
them - I hope I remember half the stuff I've seen. This is most
definitely a third world country - quite a bit of filth and poverty -
but a happy people in general. Lots of smiling, and they take care of
themselves. Plus some very eccentric resident foreigners -

later!

steph

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond