[RC] Horse weight-loss diet help needed - Sue Riegel Williams

I have a very easy keeper who has been laid off for over a year... no fault of his.  I need to get nearly 80-100 lbs off of him with a combination of conditioning rides and diet.

   I have started with easy walking rides of 5-6 miles, basically flat but interesting, three times/week; however, he's such an easy keeper, I need to adjust his diet.

   He gets 2 flakes of good grass hay (irrigated pasture mix) twice a day plus some supplements (horseguard and magnesium) PERIOD.  I did try feeding some clean straw along with his hay, but he sorts thru it and then poops on it.  He loves beet pulp, but wouldn';t that put weight on him?

   What can I use to help get his weight under control for more aggressive conditioning?

Sue

Do you Yahoo!?