[RC] Horse won't drink water when offered - Wendy Mancini

April, sounds like a plan.
    Try different types of buckets, reg horse buckets & the white ones.  When my waterer was out of order, I put out 8 buckets/4 horses for the daylight hours & there was some water left over.
    For night time try a muck bucket tub.  I use one of these in my horses pen at rides.

From: "April" <ridecamp_mail@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Horse won't drink water when offered

When I got Serts (my free lease) his owner told me I might have trouble with
him taking him camping or to endurance rides because he would only drink out
of *his* creek or a trough. Not buckets and not strange creeks. I haven't
been worried about him so far, but had an idea in the last couple of days
and wondered if anyboy tried this and/or what other people thought about it.

Idea is this: be the sole source of water for the horses at home. We have a
water trough. In the back hill, where they're shut up for 2 months because
we just seeded the front pasture, there is no source of natural water. The
water trough is back there. I was thinking to drain the water trough and
bring water out to them several times a day in buckets. A lot of work, yes,
but my reasoning is that they will begin to look to me to provide their
water and hopefully will drink away from home when I offer them water. Is
this flawed reasoning?

If I did decide to do away with the water trough, how much water should they
be drinking each day and how often should I offer? I'm currently unemployed
so would have the time now to devote to teaching them (especially Serts) to
drink when offered. I was thinking to leave water for them overnight since
I'm not planning on getting up several times during the night to water them.
How big of a container would be needed for overnight watering for one horse?