Re: [RC] horses & weather - sharp penny

--- Wendy  wrote:

    Well, I'm feeling like a bit of a softie now.  Living
in NJ the temps aren't extreme but the property I rough
board on doesn't have a run in & there's no tree shelter
in winter so from around Dec. to mid March our boys come
in at night.  By dusk, they all seem ready to settle in &
are waiting at the gate.....

 I think alot has to do with what a horse is used to. I
had a show horse that was raised being in a stall for most
of the day and only got turnout for 2-3 hours a day. When I
stopped showing and decided to turn out all day long, this
guy was very unhappy if he wasn't let back in his stall
after 3 hours. He would stand at the gate waiting to be put
back in the stall and if he was ignored he would run the
fence line, acting very upset and agitated about being left
out. Then when he wore himself out he would stand pouting
at the gate...you could tell he was unhappy being there. He
was also unhappy outside of the show ring which he lived
for. I hated selling him but he disliked his occupation
change from show to trail horse. This was a horse that
loved being pampered, stalled, fussed over and strutting
his stuff in the showring! My point being if your horse
seems happy and healthy in your current horsekeeping
situation don't worry about doing what others may think is
the right, wrong or natural way to keep a horse.

Regards,
Penny