Re: [RC] Horses Outside/Weather - April

I hate the 33 and raining. We get that a lot here in Nashville. I have two
horses. Tanna shivers if he's wet and it's below 40. I've never seen Serts
shiver.

I was blanketing both when Tanna shivered, but quit that when I discovered
rain rot on the non-shiverer. I believe his wet coat covered by a blanket
made a nice warm wet place for the rain rot fungi/bacteria to fester and
grow. Now Serts goes without his blanket. If he shivers, he'll get it in a
heartbeat, but otherwise, I wait for shivering before blanketing. (I will
blanket Tanna if I know for certain for sure it'll be raining with dropping
temps.)

I've not seen Tanna shiver when he was dry, even at 10 degrees outside.

We do have some shelter. Just not man-made. Lots of trees. And unless we put
up a man-made shelter next to the neighbor's pasture, I seriously doubt
they'd go to the shelter. Seems when there's bad weather, my two horses, the
neighbor's horse and the neighbor's 2-ton cow commiserate together by the
fence (tree line on our side, utility shed on their side). All I can figure
is misery loves company and they're getting some protection from the trees
and the shed. There are more trees in the back pasture, more sheltered
places, but they choose their friends across the fence.

BTW, the Maryland Horse Council thinks that "Trees and natural weather
barriers providing shelter may be considered adequate shelter."

I believe each of us here do the best we can for our horses. We all like
them and like spending time with them (hey, endurance training and riding
requires us to spend time with them...if we don't like it, we wouldn't be
here, would we?). Each horse is in a different living situation and requires
different management. While I don't choose to stall my horses at all (a
stall for hurt times *would* be nice, but I have friends with stalls if I
need to go there), I have no doubt that my horses are well-cared for and
happy, well-adjusted animals (not to mention the 4 cats and the dog).

April
Nashville, TN