[RC] dealing with the cold weather - Laura Hayes

NY, but along the snow belt, in the Western part of the Southern Tier.  It
is cold, snowy and icey here with some pretty bad winds, and temps around 0
C most of the winter.

I have my horses in fields with large run ins (28x30)attached to the barns -
the run ins are very cozy but ventilated with only one wide door in and out.
I find the key to keeping one alpha horse from blocking the others and not
allowing them in, is to have smaller groups of horses. I realize this isn't
always practical, but I have watched the dynamics of the group and shifted
it so that they seem to get along better.  I am fortunate to have three such
situations for four horses and two ancient ponies.  Having too many horses
share even a large run in could be trouble for one or two all the time.

Our water, which is in an automatic heated waterer in two enclosures and a
tub with a submersed heater in the other, is inside the run ins, so one
horse left out can be a problem.  I have put water in buckets and left it
outside for new horses just in case the boss mare wouldn't let them in, but
eventually they are seen going in and out.

I did give my old retired endurance mare to a friend this winter to keep as
the newer mare was really being hard on her and wouldn't let her in.  The
old girl went to a place were she can go in her stall every night, and she
is happy.  In exchange, we do the vaccinations and foot care for the
friend - handy, eh?

Winter can be hard on them - my old hackney pony is looking a little rough,
so I made him a stall in the corner with gates and have been giving him
extra grain and beet pulp away from the others. One key to having multiple
horses is to observe each one and make sure they are getting what they need.
It is easy in a herd to have one who is lacking and not make special
arrangements for them.

I have never dealt with frostbite, I think the key is prevention - a place
out of the wind and freezing rain is imperative.

As a cruelty investigator, I know there is no requirement for shelter in NY
state for any animals, dogs or farm animals.  We tried to get a bill passed,
but no dice - the farm lobby was too strong and objected on the grounds that
the humaniacs would go after every farm in the state.  I understood their
stand, but as an investigator who understood farm animal practices, I felt
that I could differentiate between healthy animals who were outside ok and
those who's nutrition and health care was marginal and needed shelter - I
may have been the exception and that would cause trouble for the farmers.
Tough call, especially for dogs, who are quite often left tied out without
any shelter or bedding.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741