[RC] Putting a Horse Down... - Suvut

" I have six of my best buddies buried in my yard.  All were tranquilized
before the final shot was given.  I never saw any adverse reaction other than
a sleepy horse sagging to the ground.  It was over and done in less than a
minute and I do not feel that any of them suffered in that minute.  I hope
this brings comfort to those that have choices to make. "

Julie, I had the exact same experience the one and only time I was forced to have a horse euthanized.  My vet tranqed her and then delivered the fatal injection.  She dropped sleepily to the ground and never moved again.  It was an absolutely horrible thing for me to have to go through, but I felt that by being with her and petting  her, I kept her calm until the end.  She was a 6 year old mare that I had bred and delivered and raised, and I thought it only fair to be with her as she left this world as well.

Susan Vuturo (#1108)