[RC] [Guest] Death of horses - Ridecamp Moderator

Rachel arcadia@xxxxxxxxxxx

I think in the original post there were really 2 issues at hand. 1- being the inept owner down the road
and 2- being the manner in which the horse was put down. I know many people who own horses for the
sake of saying they "own a horse" but don't know jack about caring for them NOR do they make an
attempt to learn. This is what that lady sounded like and I think that's what the original poster was
trying to get across. I own 3 and keep them on my property. IF I ever felt I was not able to provide
for them properly, I would simply sell one. Not rocket science here! It's people who continue to hang on
to too many horses and fail to realize there is no quality of life for them, that makes me irate.
Kind of like abusive or neglectful parents who don't practice birth control!!!

As far as manner of death, that's pretty much a personal matter. But for crying out loud shooting a horse
for health reasons that were a result of neglect and ignorance on the part of the owner just plain stinks.
If the poor horse couldn't even stand up because the stupid owner didn't know what the *@!! she was
doing is like watching an abused child die from injuries caused by the parent.

Simple bottom line. If you can't take care of a pet or child or anyone who is totally dependent on you,
Then either sell or give away the pet, put the child up for adoption or try birth control. There are
organizations out there to call and report animal abuse/neglect. Keep calling and don't stop if you
suspect it. No one should have to die because of abuse/neglect. Pets don't choose their owners.
And if you sell a horse, screen, screen and screen prospective buyers.