Re: [RC] parasitic damage - JUDYK89

I would love to hear some vets opinions on this subject.  How can you tell (without a necropsy) if there is existing parasitic damage?  Would the overall health of the horse tell you?  Can it be reversed?

Another question while we're on the subject:  I started a new horse on a daily wormer about 6 months ago, she was very underweight, and I was unsure of her previous worming history.  She has been in training for 6 months, nothing strenuous, just basic stuff.  I will be starting her conditioning soon, slowly, more hills, longer rides, etc.  Have heard in the past that horses on daily wormers can have metabolic problems?  Thumping, tying up?  Any basis to this?  Anyone using them while competing?

I was opposed to it at the beginning, didn't like the idea of the daily "chemicals," but I have to say, I like the idea of protecting against damage, and she is looking wonderful.

Judy