[RC] Preventing Treatment - Next Steps - Stagg_Newman

THANKS to all who contributed to the threat on Preventing Treatment.  I
have gathered all of the relevant email on ridecamp to the topic through
February 22 in a word document.  The word document is 157 pages!

There was general agreement that riders have the primary resposibility
their horses.  Therefore the most important step could well be better rider
education.

Here are my suggestions for next steps in the three areas of:

    rider/crew education and actions
    better identification of causes and warning signs
    improved ride management and veterinary procedure.

1.  I will provide a draft of a one pager on precautions that riders and
crew can take to prevent treatment The one pager is based on all the input
from the discussion on ridecamp and other sources.  The draft will
circulated on ridecamp for additions, suggested edits, etc. which can then
result in a revised docment.  The goal is to have a one pager that could be
posted on the web sites such as endurance.net and AERC as well as something
that ride managers could if they choose hand out at rides.  The information
developed should also be submitted to the AERC education committee.  A
further goal would be to have back-up pages that provide more information
on each of the recommendations on the one-pager.

2.  There were some great suggestions on data that could be collected and
analyzed to provide us all with my better knowledge  My suggestion is that
we should compile a short list of suggested studies and data collection.
We can submit these ideas to AERC for consideration.  We can also look for
various sponsors, rides that would be willing to do studies, riders that
would be willing to participate, and people who would be willing to analyze
the data.  Would anybody be willing to take the first cut at compiling a
list of suggested studies?  Sue or Heidi?  Others?

3.  There were also many excellent suggestions on either new guidelines
and/or rules that ride management and ride veterinarians could consider
that would better detect horses that could later get in trouble.  My
suggestion would be to compile these suggestions and submit them to AERC
for consideration, particularly to the veterinary committee.  I will take a
cut at doing this.  I would also welcome other people who would like to go
through all the comments and compile suggestions.

Comments please on the above suggestions.  For anybody who would like to
work directly on the next steps please contact me directly by email at
staggandcheryl@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Stagg

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.