Re: [RC] endurance terrain & TX FEI ride (was The Emperor's New Clothes:...........) - Jonni

Broad  grasslands just describes the panhandle.<<<

Speaking of Grasslands in Texas, here in North Texas, about an hour +  from
Dallas, is the LBJ Grasslands (and we are not in the Panhandle) . Before I
ever set eyes on it, I had visions of open prairie, no trees, and very, very
flat. We discovered (when we moved just 8 miles from the Grasslands) it has
LOTS of trees, some roll to the terrain, and some wonderful trails that
offer both wide, two tracks, or single track trails through some sections.
(we by no means have mountains, and our hills are minimal) Next weekend is
the  Texas Grasslands 100 mile ONLY AERC & FEI Ride. I understand we are
expecting over 40 entries, from all parts of the nation, and Canada. It will
be interesting to see the winning time on a trail such as this. As Heidi
mentioned, every area has it's own "endurance terrain". I would say horses
local to the area, who have been conditioned to the same type of conditions
(which include weather as much as trail type) would have some advantage.
Mountain horses from low humidity California may not do as well on a flat,
very fast trail with some humidity. Just as those of us in flatter areas who
might try to condition for Tevis, would have a different program without the
mountains at our disposal. It will be interesting to see how the different
horses do. I am looking forward to having such a ride right here in my own
backyard per say, where I can watch these top riders and horses during the
day.

Jonni