Re: [RC] RE:The Emperor's New Clothes: Why Endurance isn't, never will be, and shouldn't be an Olympic sport - Heidi Smith

"So, with the money the Middle East has to dump into the sport THEY Call
Endurance riding, after hearing reports and some able to watch the web
cast,my gut says if endurance heads to the Olympics, THIS is how it will
be
presented to the world"

Keep in mind that since virtually ALL sports are played under different
rules in different countries, the Olympic version of just about everything
is different than how we play it at home.  Wanting to see Olympic endurance
(should it ever come to pass) look like AERC endurance is unrealistic, never
mind provincial, isolationist, elitist, and downright "Ugly American."  Our
job is to run AMERICAN endurance the way we want it, the way we see fit, and
the way we find ethical, protective of horses, etc.  Furthermore, we will
have FAR more influence on what goes on elsewhere by being POSITIVE about
our version instead of NEGATIVE about theirs.

Someone asked or made comment about where did they find all that flat track
"over there."  One of the tenets of endurance, even here in THIS country, is
that we ride endurance with the terrain we have.  If you live in Auburn, CA,
the Tevis trail is "endurance terrain."  If you live in Texas, broad
grasslands are "endurance terrain."  If you live in Florida, sand and a
"hill" that is 200 feet tall are "endurance terrain."  Even here in the NW,
we have Tevis-type terrain and desert terrain and just about everything in
between, and rides on ALL of those different types of terrain are still
"endurance rides."  Where do the Middle Eastern riders "find" that flat
sand-track terrain?  Just go to the UAE and look around you in all
directions.  That is what they HAVE.  It isn't like they went out and
"invented" the terrain just to alter the sport.  I've likewise ridden in
western Germany on cobblestones and asphalt--was that any LESS of an
endurance test, simply because it didn't look like Tevis or OD?  I think
not.  Meanwhile, more power to them for trying to adapt the sport to what
terrain they have, and getting vets from the US, Canada, and Europe to help
them set acceptable standards, etc.  Flame away, guys, but instead of
dissing what goes on elsewhere, let's keep our sights leveled on what we can
do to make endurance riding better HERE, in the good ol' USA.  And let's
keep our FEI involvement aimed at having a POSITIVE influence on what goes
on at a world level, instead of just aiming pot shots about what we don't
like about how "they" do it.  Kudos to Dane, Tony, Art, and others for
maintaining a positive front and making the effort to have a positive
impact.

Heidi