[RC] The Emperor's New Clothes: Another thought - Laura Hayes

I am not saying I totally disagree with Ms Swagert, or that I wish to see
endurance as an Olympic sport, but being soooo adamant about certain topics
lays you open to scrutiny.  Here are some holes in this post that I thought
of in my pre coffee haze this morning.

Kat Wrote: 1) For starters, endurance riding is almost totally
uninteresting to non-participants<<<<

Interestingly, my webcast said that it was being viewed by almost 45,000
people - not bad for a first minor effort.

2) An endurance ride is a very expensive event to stage.<<<<

You forget the money thrown into this sport by those who have it.  At WEG,
it was very apparent who had it and where they wanted it to go - to promote
and run endurance.  In today's Olympics, money talks, and there is no
shortage of it among those who wish to speak.

4) Sometimes, horses die at endurance rides, and that is a PR nightmare
that the IOC wouldn't want go get anywhere near<<<<

Horses die in all events at some time, my thought is that they would just
sweep it under the rug and not make it public.  There was a near death in
show jumping at WEG from an exhausted horse - it just wasn't public. I am
not saying this is right, but I am guess that it is not a huge concern of
the IOC.

because he had never ridden the horse before.  It was bred, raised,
conditioned, trained, owned,
handled, and cared for by somebody other than the person who got the
medal.<<<<<<

Olympic caliber horses in other disciplines are rarely bred, raised, trained
and handled by the eventual rider.  I can't imagine the IOC gives a hoot
about this either.

My thoughts are: While I do not care one way or another about endurance
becoming an Olympic sport (other than then I won't have to explain it so
much to those who have never heard of it ;-))  I don't believe it will
impact the way we ride our local rides anymore than the FEI selection
process does now - certain rides for those few who are seeking that venue.
I had aspirations in this vein many years ago, but I don't like the
direction it is going - I was in Spain- but I felt there were some
inaccuracies in the article I am quoting.  Also my sense of fair play
doesn't like to see anyone called names...

The bottom line in my mind is MONEY.  The Arabs have it and they are willing
to spend it to get what they want - I won't be surprised if it works.

Laura Hayes