Re: [RC] President's Cup Race (in my opinion) - Truman Prevatt

As Mark Twain once said we are own hardest critic. Steph you sell yourself short. You set a goal - to go to France. You prepared your horse for the selection process. You spent time away from your family to train in the sand and humidity of FL to accomplish that (of course knowing how cold it is in Moscow even in June  .... but that's another discussion :-) ). You did everthing right. You showed you could run with the big dogs in the SE on fast rides. You showed you could run in SE humidity. You showed you could keep your head and make good decisions at the Biltmore. We watched you do it  - you earned your spot on the US squad and as an adopted daughter of the SE you did us proud.

And at then end of the day in France you were left standing, only you and Connie Walker can say that. It was a job well done. And more important you still have the horse that got you there, fat, healthy and sound in the pasture.

Truman

Steph Teeter wrote:
Hi Kim,

your question <<I just have one question...Do you think your ride record was the only reason you were invited to visit?  >>

I think it was mostly a fluke. My ride record is not that great, I hardly have any wins, and our performance in France was nothing exceptional. But, that was the first year of the UAE World Ranking system, based on FEI rides, and I was the top ranked US rider simply because I had done several FEI rides that year, and the France completion was worth bonus points.  I wasn't their first choice. They want winners. not finishers.

No excuses - I'm fully aware of the consequences of what I do and say, and the mixed message my words and actions must give. But I'm a total sucker for fun and adventure, and at the very least try not to let it affect my judgement regarding my own riding philosophy - and my own horses.

Steph