[RC] Log book and suggested blood test ?'s - drhopkins

I really like the idea of Austrailia's 'log book' that they use for rides. It
would be a good record of health/ride dist.  I'm not so much suggesting it as
a requirement for endurance rides, but for my own information/learning.  I'm
thinking of using a small 3 ring binder and including training pages in one
section and ride pages in another section.  I would like to have pages in it
for rides(CTR's for now as I'm a novice).  I'd like to know what the pages for
rides in the log book looks like.  Is it just a vet sheet like used at vet
checks?  I'm assuming the one shown in Complete Guide to Enurance Rinding and
Competition by Donna Snyder-Smith is standard.

I started making a list for what I want the vet to do at the semi-annual
visit, ie. Coggins, vaccines and I wanted to have him draw blood to test
Selenium level.  Their teeth were floated last visit.  Calvin, my 15 yo QH/TB
ex-racehorse gelding, CTR & future endurance mount had what the CTR vet
referred to as a 'charlie horse' inside his back thigh at the completion trot
out.  He didn't want to walk and I was crying because I thought I ruined my
horse.  Some kind people helped massaged out the cramp and within a short time
he was fine.  I was concerned about it being a tying up episode, but the vet
and others felt that it was due to the huge amount of mud and hills.  It was
also my first time using the Old Macs in that much mud.  I took the back ones
off a few miles from the end when I knew the rock were done, put them in the
plastic bag tied to my saddle.  Out of curiousity when I got home I weighed
them and they were 3 lbs each with all the mud.  Other than that he seems very
healthy although a bit of a hard keeper.  My question is other than having his
blood tested for selenium (I supplement selenium and Vit E, but not sure if
I'm giving him enouogh), should I have his blood tested for anything else?  I
like my vet, but don't think he does alot with equine athletes.  My 18 yo
paint mare is being ridden more by my husband than I thought she would and I
would like to increase her training in hopes of them doing more LSD with me
and Calvin and maybe a novice CTR.  She's got the stocky QH build, sweats
alot, but has decent HR and recoveries.  She's an easy keeper and a tad heavy
5.5 to 6 condition wise.  What blood tests should I have done on her?

Sorry so long.  TIA for your help

This message was sent using Green Apple, Inc. service.
Check us out at http://www.greenapple.com