[RC] FW: News from the Sand - President's Cup - UAE - Steph Teeter

-----Original Message-----
From: Debra Gilbert [mailto:gmchagall@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 7:27 AM
Subject: News from the Sand - President's Cup - UAE

Hi all:  Everything is going well - no rain!  Today
Beverly Gray (USA World team finisher) and I went out
on a little jaunt in the desert - We managed to get
into a camel compound and rode around for a long time
in the dunes and encountered only mean 4-strand camel
enclosure barbed wire.  We backtracked in the early
afternoon heat through the camp.  In a very
narrow straightway leaving the camp we encountered a
camel train of about 40-50 racing camels coming the
other direction from training at the camel racetrack.
We parked the horses on the road
shoulder while they passed. The riders were extremely
friendly - huge smiles and used all the english
phrases they knew "Hello", "No Problem", "Thank you",
"How Are You" and "Good Bye".  One wise fellow hanging
over the compound fencing had one more phrase that he
yelled as we were departing "I LOVE YOU". We were
touched by their excitement over seeing us.  It was an
entertaining and enriching experience.

We backtracked to our original route and made it back
safely to the barn.  During that time Jeannie Waldron,
who every  horse knows and loves and Todd Howard,
equine sports therapist extraordinaire
had been perusing the desert looking for us but
arrived
back at the barn shortly after us - very relieved.
The guys did well but were very thirsty after 2 1/2
hours out.  A good trial run for the race.  We
galloped and trotted and sorted out how they handle
the different types of sand surfaces.

Jeannie arrived last night and is already taking blood
and assessing the state of all the horses and making
suggestions.  Seems we've done ok with getting them
settled on our own.

Yesterday we had the most wonderful trip to Al Ain -
an oasis in the desert about 130 km from our hotel.
We left early, ran by to feed the guys and were on the
road by 8:00.  First we went to a huge rock mountain
that is near Al Ain and rises straight from the desert
(I can't remember the name but will send later).  It
was 12 km to the top - about 3500 feet above sea
level.  On the top is one of the Sheik's vacation
homes and a large parking lot for the public.  It was
like being on top of the world - you could see for a
hundred + miles.  The desert sand was tan surrounding
the mountain then changed to an iron red further into
the desert. Truly spectacular.

While standing in the parking lot admiring the view,
a woman in muslim dress came over and inquired where
we were from.  Virginia, Pennsylvania and California
were our responses - hers was that she was from NORTH
CAROLINA!  Small world..... She was with a
broadcasting company and lives in Greensboro.  She has
been here, in Abu Dhabi for 4 years and loves it.  We
had a nice chat and she hopes to have some coverage of
the race.

We then went to Al Ain, shopped and ate - We had a
wonderful plate of rice and chicken, salad with yogurt
dressing and a coke.  (cost 9 dirham - eq to 3.50 US)
We went to the gold souks (stores) and bought some
souvenirs.  We then went to Sheik Zayed's family home
which is now a museum and took a tour (no cost) - How
cool - simple with pillows on the floor - separate
wives quarters - special "Guest" quarters, fountains
and for the BMI folks - the most wonderful tent in the
courtyard.  I took my last pictures of that tent - had
a liner and was huge - like an extended extended dome.
 We left there and drove through the date farm and
into the livestock market.  We actually saw a station
wagon with a goat and cow looking out through the back
window!  I can't wait to go back - there was so much
we didn't get to do.

If we take anything away from this experience - it is
that we have really given these people a bad rap.
They are the most kind and generous people as a
population that I have ever encountered.  I cannot
describe how wonderful and gracious they have been to
us.  The impending war is a  non-issue and no one has
mentioned it to us.

We're still lobbying for a camel ride and hope to make
it to the Sheik's wildlife area where he has rescued
cheetahs.  Gazelles run throughout his compound and
graze at night near the stable.  Haven't seen a snake,
but have seen tracks across the dunes.

We are in countdown mode - the race is a week from
Thursday. Rumor has it will
have 120 competitors.  Saturday we are going to Dubai
to watch another shorter race to find out how to do
this well here.

BTW we are sitting in an Internet Cafe where for 5
dirhams an hour you can use the internet.  Much faster
than at the hotel.  The atmosphere is great with
plaster walls and cubicles like you use in computer
training class.

Lynne & Beverly

http://shopping.yahoo.com