Re: [RC] Preventing Treated Horses - Susan Garlinghouse

One thing that I think would be good at rides such as championship rides,
FEI events, etc., where people haul a long way and where all the "money,
marbles, and chalk" are on one event, would be to have a pre-ride blood
panel done on ALL horses, and apply that data at the pre-ride check as to
whether each horse is a go or a no-go.

Heidi, I think that concept (which I think is a terrific one) could even be
distilled down to packed cell and total proteins to just evaluate pre-ride
hydration level.  One of the trends we saw last year in all the Tevis panels
drawn was that very few of the horses actually started the ride fully
hydrated; and also that the hydration curves seemed to be consistent for all
the horses...ie, just as an arbitrary example, if a horse started the ride
3% dehydrated, then within the first 35 miles, he could be predicted to lose
another 3%, then stabilize over the next 20-30 miles, then gradually recover
hydration.  If the curve proves to be true, then it could be predicted that
any horse starting the ride over "X" per cent dehydrated will be over an
acceptable level of dehydration within "x" miles---and therefore shouldn't
start in the first place, OR should have his PCV and total proteins
re-checked within the first 20-30 miles or so.  Just conjecture at this
point, but I absolutely agree that given the portability of mobile analysis
equipent, checking a few parameters pre-ride is not all that unreasonable a
task.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse