Re: [RC] They all only go on "with qualifications" - Heidi Smith

If this were the case, vets should just disqualify all the
horses at the start because the rider MIGHT ride the horse
beyond its capabilities.

If the vet believes that a thinking rider can get the horse
through the ride by riding it within its capabilities (even
if the extent of its capabilities at that particular time is
only to walk), then that horse is, by definition, "fit to
continue" and should theoretically be allowed to go on.

I beg to differ, kat.  While certainly ANY rider might ride a horse past his
capabilities, the difference between that and the scenario I cited is that a
horse that is "fit to continue" should be able to make it to the next check
without undue danger of death due to overriding even if the rider DOES push
it.  The rider riding beyond the horse's capabilities always runs the risk
of being pulled at the NEXT one as well, even if that NEXT one is the
finish--if he then arrives with a horse that is no longer fit to continue.
The horse in my scenario had a pulse hanging at 68 (which was the pulse
criterion back then!) and was dull.  A GOOD and concerned horseman could
have likely walked him in with no further damage--the day was cool, there
was more water along the trail, and there was grass to graze.  And I know
the vet at the check took all those things into consideration.  His mistake
was projecting his own level of care onto the rider--she had neither the
care nor the ability, whereas he had both, and in his hands, the horse could
have likely been gotten that last 7 miles or so safely.  But the horse was
already compromised and could NOT continue to take the abuse that the rider
dished out.

The question I have to ask myself when I let a horse go out of a check is
this:  "Can this horse safely make it to the next checkpoint, even if the
rider does NOT ride smart?"  I don't have to predict what will happen beyond
that.  He may need to be pulled by the next vet in line, if the rider
overrides.  But at least I don't want to send the next vet a time bomb that
I SHOULD have pulled.

BTW--it has been my experience that the vast majority of riders DO care, and
that if I explain my findings to them, they are more than happy to pull.
They may not have had the skill or experience to see what is going on, but
given a chance to understand what is happening, most riders DO want to do
the right thing by the horse.  I can count on my fingers the number of times
(in 250+ rides) that I've had to really "lay down the law" to a rider and
act like a policeman "enforcing" a pull.  Virtually every other rider has
come to the conclusion that the horse should be pulled.  Granted, if the
horse isn't just crashing at my feet, I've been known to send them back to
try to "warm out" a mild lameness or to send them back for a few more
minutes of hold time, even in cases where it is clear to me that the horse
will not be going on--and given an awareness of the problem and time to
think about it, the rider will almost invariably come back and say, "You
know, maybe I should just pull."  And I agree.  :-)  Educating those riders
in that fashion is a large part of what a ride vet should be doing.  But we
are also there for that 1% of riders that just don't "get it"--or should I
say we are there for their horses.

Heidi