Education for distance riders, was RE: [RC] [RC] Preventing treatment - Maureen A. Fager

Bob Morris said "Education is much cheaper in the long term and a much better venue for what we want to accomplish...I believe a strong education effort would provide a greater return on investment than any rule, data acquisition or other preventative method as it would benefit all levels of rider. In addition it would be proactive rather than
reactive."
I agree with this idea, but do not, at this time, see where the AERC will be able to do much for this. I feel this way because of the size of the organization, it's small. (perhaps I'm not 'xplaining this very well-sorry)
Instead, in my view, I see the education as a grass roots efforts from the folks actively involved in the sport. And these efforts are now comming from all over-for instance, the OD website shows several seminars, a week or so ago notice of seminars in Colorado were posted, clinics and seminars from various places have been posted on RC at various times. Also, I've looked at different clubs websites, for instance SERA has links for FAQ's which answer very basic questions-it's great take a look!! http://www.seraonline.org/ and they also have a link for conditoning info. Another informative site is Ontario Competive Trail Riding Association -OCTRA-they have a page with great "how to" articles http://www.octra.on.ca/articles/index.html I've found by checking out the various distance riding club websites that many of them are chock full of great info.
My point is, the education aspect will come from the clubs and individuals who are interested in putting the time and effort. (I put on a "Introduction to Distance Riding Seminar" myself last October.)
There are some limits to the education aspect, IMO, such as, not every beginner will have access to, or be interested in, or may not know about, an intro seminar/clinic, and the information provided will vary in qualitiy.

Bob, what would you suggest for bringing about a strong educational program? I see it as a grass roots effort. Some folks contribute to our sport by managing rides, other folks would rather educate newbies.

I hope other folks will add their ideas, bet there are lots of good ones out there.

Happy Trails,
Maureen
Reno, NV