Re: [RC] Pulse - Punishing the non-Arab breeds -- the problem - SandyDSA

In a message dated 2/15/2003 6:28:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, FASTGraphic@xxxxxx writes:

it would also be wrong to work the rules
of the sport more to their favor with lower pulse criterion, would it not?  yes it would, but given the relatively smaller number of other breeds in competition, I don't believe - correct me if I am wrong - that the criteria was changed for any reason other than to improve the margin of safety for the horses, regardless of breed.
As stated before, 72 worked as criterion for quite a long time.  Other breed
riders only seem to want the rules to not be altered to FAVOR the Arabs

After 10 years, I have never heard or heard OF a vet even alluding to the idea of favoring Arabians, in fact, I have indeed heard vets who have been more flexible with some horses, saying, "well, give him a moment - Quarter horses (whatever) take a little longer...". Actually, this is the first time I have heard of this issue, at least in endurance. Other disciplines routinely penalize Arabians simply by nature of certain charatceristics inherent to the Arabian breed. Personally, I believe we have enough regulation - what we COULD use more of is education, common sense and just plain sportsmanship - and compared to MOST equestrian sports, we still do pretty well in THOSE areas, too.