[RC] pulse recovery - Dot Wiggins

I rode QHs well over 4500 miles from late 70s thru late 80s.  In that time vet checks went from "recover to 72" within the hold time,  to recover to 68/64 at "gate in to hold", then 64, and now, in NW almost always 60.
In some extreme weather 56 has been required. I expected some delays but I found there was almost no difference in recovery time for my QHs.   They often recovered before the Arabs.  (I expect recovery with in 2/3 minutes, often meet recovery as quick as I can get a check)

 Over all, I think the "gate into hold" slowed the total ride time but improved horse safety greatly.

The QH/Arab and 2 pure breds I've ridden in recent years almost always meet 60 instantly, and continue to drop at rest.
I don't think a 56 requirement would be a handicap to very many fit horses. (Assuming they are brought into a vet stop smartly)