[RC] BOD - Margie Burton

Hi Bob,
I certainly understand your concerns...when I was  not on the board I
wondered what in the world the BOD even did!  I mean, how much work could
this really be.  And I had some grave doubts about the sanity of some of our
directors.  So I ran for the board.  WOW...what a wake-up call.
First I have to say I still doubt the sanity of many of these people...after
all, I get board emails that were written in the wee hours of the morning
(while I'm sleeping) when the director finally finds time from his/her
regular job, family, and hobbies to get on the list.

And the very directors I thought were out to ruin this sport are the ones I
have great admiration and respect for now.  There are 25 people on this
board who all have a life outside of AERC but you'd never know it. And yes,
I know there are 26 directors but I don't put myself at their level yet and
probably never will.

What we discuss on the Board list is (in the Central Region and many others)
relayed to the members who attend the regional mini-conventions.  The
directors have an open-forum type meeting on Sat. or Sunday morning for
several hours and try to update the members on what's happening. Also, our
addresses, phone numbers and email are available in each issue of EN.  We
even answer questions at rides - when the time allows.  I spent Sat. evening
after my ride (around the camp fire) answering lots of questions.

And Bob, you are so right...this is the time to be talking to your directors
about  any and all concerns because that is what goes on the agenda.  What
we discuss on the BOD list is input received from AERC members.  We will be
discussing ride manager concerns, LD concerns, equine health issues, rules
and more.  And all of these topics came from members.  Remember, this board
is comprised of regular AERC members who are doing their best to keep this
organization grounded and viable.

I would like to repeat that I have discovered a greater respect for the
people on this board - most especially those who give of themselves year
after year.  Their passion, energy, talents and commitment constantly amaze
me.  And I would like to publicly thank those long-standing members - people
like Dane, Maggie, Louise, Susan, Vonita, Barney, Steph, Maryben, Dr. Jim,
Randy and so many, many more.  They keep putting in the hours and energy
needed to help this organization run smoothly.  And you know they've been
around awhile when, like Madonna, they are recognizable by their first
names!

For myself, this will be my last year.  I have learned much about myself by
sitting on the AERC BOD and I find I don't have the drive and passion of
those I just mentioned.  Like many, I would prefer to ride and relax (play
with grandchildren, travel, ----------[fill in the blank]) and leave the
tedious everyday housekeeping work to others.  These hard-working people
don't have a secret agenda.  Their personalities and opinions may vary
(strongly and frequently!!) but they are all striving for the same goal and
that is to keep AERC a sound and healthy organization.

Bob, I applaud your desire to be one of the ones to help keep AERC headed in
the right direction.  Please come join a committee or run for a Board
seat...we need more members like you who are willing to give of their time
and energies.

Thank you so much for your input.
Margie Burton
Central Region Director