Re: [RC] Needle Phobia and Cures - MtnRondi

My horse is a basket case when the vet comes with a needle. I was really worried when I had to give him some shots myself... I didn't know how I was going to get the job done. So I put a few carrots in his feeder and did it the old fashioned way... I took the needle off the syringe and held it in my fingers while I gently pounded on his neck with the side of my hand/fist. At first he flinched, then kept on eating his carrots and after about 5 to 10 rapid taps on his neck I quickly thrust the needle in. He just kept on eating his carrots. Then I attached the syringe, pulled back to check for blood, then injected it. He was fine. He still doesn't like the vet doing it because he doesn't do the old fashioned tapping with his hand first.

Bonnie