[RC] post-ride leg care - product questions > - Roger Rittenhouse

I have used both. I only use warp and or a poultice when I need a leg
sweat. That is I have a problem.

The Ice-O-Gel is good stuff really will get the leg cold fast. I
never warp with it. A few companies offer it Hawthorne and Uckele
have products I prefer
Cool Cast is from Hawthorne. I keep it on hand if needed.

I do used the shipping boots with my leg liniment mix, never had a
problem.

The purpose of these type of topical products are to cool the leg,
reduce edema, manage inflammation and tighten the tissues. ( sort of
redundant uses)
My object is to keep the joint capsules and tendons from filling
and causing tears in the sheaths. Then you get saks that will fill
easier the next time.. windpuffs or the 'stockin up' issues.
None of my horse have these. We keep the legs cool and tight after a
workout.
As well as we do not let them just stand around AFTER a
race. I take them for walks every hour for 10 minutes for at least 4
hours after the ride. Keep them loose and keep things working.

Roger R
From: Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx>

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the
Ice-O-Gel products or Cool Cast? Also is it necessary
to wrap plastic wrap around a poultice?
Would applying liniment to the legs cause a problem if
shipping boots are applied afterwards? Some products
(I think absorbine and blue lotion) recommend not
wrapping because of the build up of heat the product
makes and maybe blistering of skin?? I'm not sure
about this, so if anyone knows please let me know.
Lysane