Re: [RC] Small Horses - Lynne Glazer

I think small horses that can move out are great, too. In the NW, Karen Steenhof comes to mind--she's had 3 great little horses, like Ambers Thorn with his 7,000(?) miles? And I got to ride with her on one of them (Cyandarac) while we were preparing for a new ride, a 9 mile loop at the trot, and boy did those guys move out. I rode the Morris' Hall of Fame mare Champagne, and she was a small horse too, with a businesslike attitude that never quit.

I can't always tell when I'm aboard a small horse vs a tall horse--if the horse takes up my leg, I'm comfortable. If it's a slab-sided horse where my legs are dangling below the belly (I'm 5'6") then I'm not happy.

When you pick a horse as a weanling or young'un, you don't always know what you're gonna get. Got Ember as a 2 year old puny girl, she grew a hand between 3 and 6, wears a 78 blanket/15.2hh now. Breeding her to a Lippizan this spring who at coming 5 is only 14.2 maybe, and if they make a small horse I'll be happy--it'll have lots of substance, either way.

Sure would be easier to get on and off late in the ride! Love those CMK horses, with their substance.

Lynne
Rem-member Me and Celesteele (the (tall) Rubberband)
Bar H Boogie (PS) 3/1/03