Re: [RC] getting the horse fit - Sundaez

In a message dated 02/09/2003 7:29:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Ditto my own experiences, Truman.  My "natural downhill" families have also
been the ones that come "right out of the box" so to speak with a good
overreach at the walk and able to motor right along.

My mare is naturally gaited. She has lots of overstride and a medium speed running walk. As soon as we approach even a slight decline she shortens her stride and gets pacey. It's very hard to explain but it feels like her hind is running up on her fore. This mare also has a nice road trot so I am teaching her to  slow jog instead of pace. The downhills though feel like a 2 beat bounce...sort of like when a trotting horse jigs. She jigs, but it is in pace if that makes sense. BTW she has almost a level topline, nice wither and is upheaded (she is Morgan). Correct leg conformation...no stick legs like some gaited horses.

Melanie Snowhite
Poway, CA.