Re: [RC] getting the horse fit. - Stagg_Newman

Melanie,

I would be very surprised if she is too much on her hind.  You may want to
have a friend carefully
evaluate both your balance and the horse's balance to see if your center of
gravity if
centered above hers going downhill.  It is easy to get either too forward
or too far back.
Also have friend check your balance side to side.  My wife and I do this
for each
other regularly.

The horse should be in a good frame.  The head should not be poking it's
nose in the
air.  I actually believe it's good to walk or run with horses in hand
downhill to help
them learn their natural balance.  (some people disagree with me on this).
If
you do this, you must make sure they have free rein and you are not pulling
on them.

Ideally you should be at their shoulder on a good wide downhill.  Having a
horse
step on you from behind is not fun :>(   I will use a crop or stick and
gently tap on chest
if they start getting in front of me.   Similar to what Linda Tellington
Jones shows on her
video tapes, just on a downhill.

Not familiar with horses who pace or singlefoot so no advice there.

Stagg

                    Sundaez@aol.

                    com                 To:     stagg_newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                    02/02/2003          cc:     ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    11:13 PM            Subject:     getting the horse fit.

Stagg I am really enjoying the posts you are sending to ridecamp. I am
getting a 6 yo Morgan mare ready for her first 25 miler. We are doing great
'cept for downhills. She does a pacy shuffle that is real bouncy and I
can't help but wonder if it is hard on her front legs. I am able to get her
on her hind but she still sort of "dances" in front on downhills too light.
Is she too much on her hind? How can a downhill walk be flatter instead of
the footfall being 1-2-3-4  they come down like 1-2  3-4 if that makes any
sense. (BTW she does a singlefoot on the flat.) I'm posting this question
to ridecamp.

Melanie Snowhite
Poway, CA.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.