[RC] Pellets - wendy

SOAK THE PELLETS!  Last spring my extrememly healthy and fit 10 year old gelding had an unexplained impaction colic.  We never figured out what the problem was.  Several weeks later he choked while eating his grain.  This is not a horse that gulps his food, is prone to dehydration or has any identifiable risk factors for colic or choke.  I'm convinced it was the pellets.  Now he gets soaked beet pulp with his food for lubrication and 2 cups of cold water with his grain.  The pellets dissolve quickly enough and it is much safer.  I learned the hard way.