[RC] lost/stolen - petfinder.org - Magnumsmom

Per stolen dogs, make sure you put a listing up on
www.petfinder.org.  This is a non-profit site for
finding lost animals of all kinds (including horses)
and adopting out animals who need homes (including
horses).

Per endurance trail dogs, now that I live here in NM
and we ride remote trails, I do take my dog on the
trail with Blue and I.  We adopted a cattle dog off of
petfinder last March.  Granted, I was very careful to
pick a cattle dog that was good with horses and had
shown himself to be a good trail dog with horses.  He
is just a really great dog.  The Cattle Dog is tough...
does the miles easily.  His feet are fine on our rough
terrain here.  He listens.  He's great friends with Blue
and Blue likes having him along on the trail.

There are a lot of great dogs out there who just need
someone with time.  This is a really good website for
finding one.  There are horses listed for adoption, but
not so many yet.  Still, the word is getting out and it
is becoming a good centralized place for getting the
word out on lost / stolen /or animals looking for a new
home.

Of course you still want to go to all of your local shelters
and list your missing dog.  DON'T JUST CALL... go there.
Include a picture.  Most papers and classifieds will include
free lost pet ads.  Make sure to do this ASAP.  Make lots
of copies of your missing dog.  Include a photo and a reward.
Make sure you are ready to pay out the reward.  Make it
atleast $100... $200 is better.  Put these up EVERYWHERE.
Make sure to case the town on every post / bulletin board/
ANYWHERE.  Put them EVERYWHERE.  Kinko's will run 50
plain white copies free for you.  If you are sure the dog is
stolen, contact all the petshops / police / towns within a
couple hundred miles of your house. Contact your local
dog /kennel clubs.  Let everyone know.   If you find your
dog, you may have to still prove he is yours.  This is where
a microchip would come in handy.  Much luck, I sure hope you
find him.  I'd be devistated if Jasper (or Blue) disappeared.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
ps... we have a new horse rescue shelter here in Santa
Fe with some young arabs up for adoption.  I'm working
on teaching the shelter how to get them listed... look for
them on Petfinder some day soon.