Re: [RC] [RC] TWH training - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Quite a lot of the cart horses in Egypt are gaited Arab mixes and it's very common for riders to "train them out of that weird gait" with the explanation that it's not good for them. OTOH, no one has any TWH or anything of the sort here. I have a very good friend who is one of the riders who gets crazy about the funky gait and I haven't the slightest idea what it is, but it seems to be natural. Certainly isn't trained because no one in Egypt would have the faintest idea how to train it. In Dory it looks a bit like a trot in front and a canter in back and her little 14+ hand body can keep up with a 17 h warmblood in extended trot. I've always wondered what it was because it was really comfortable and WAY too fast to post.

Maryanne

Like Tina I pick the speed ( at least in theory I pick the speed ) and the horse figures out what to do with his feet. Jon Warren told me one time that a gaited horse that would trot did much better in distance riding than those that didn't. He should know.

Truman